Dhaka
Saturday, 01 Oct, 2022
The Daily Post

Biden Stands with Palestine

DP Desk

Biden Stands with Palestine

US President Joe Biden reiterated his support for the Palestinian state at the United Nations. He said that the United States is committed to the establishment of an independent Palestinian state. But he did not hint at any new peace initiative. In his address to the United Nations General Assembly, Biden said, "Our support for lasting peace between the Jewish and democratic state of Israel and the Palestinian people will continue."

 He said, in our view, the two-state solution is the best way to ensure Israel‍‍`s future security and prosperity and to recognize an independent state for Palestinian citizens. And it is a balancing act of ‍‍`freedom and respect‍‍`. Biden made similar remarks during a visit to Israel and the West Bank last July. However, the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks have been stalled since 2014. Palestinian relations with Washington improved after Biden defeated staunch anti-Israel Donald Trump. However, some Palestinian citizens view the US administration with extreme caution. They are giving more importance to the economic program than the political conflict in this case. 

The land on which Israel is located was under the Ottoman Empire for 400 years (1517 to 1917). That is, it was under the Muslims. It was then occupied by the British after the fall of the Ottoman Empire in Turkey in World War I. It was named Mandatory Palestine. In 1917, British Foreign Minister Arthur James Balfour announced the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine. Jews did not have their own land from the seventh century. They fled to different places. Eventually they migrated to Europe. Then the Jews came and settled in Palestine. When independent Turkey was born in 1923, Jews in the region were eager to establish a state. Jews in various European countries were invited to settle in Israel. About two and a half million Jews immigrated to Israel before the start of World War II. 

In 1921 the Jews formed an army called ‍‍`Haganah‍‍`. These forces continued to support the Zionists against the Muslims. The paramilitary forces formed Israel‍‍`s main military force after the forcible occupation of the Palestinian territories. After World War II, more Jews came to Israel from Europe. Many of them received combat training in the Haganah and other forces. In 1948, the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted a resolution on dividing the Palestinian nation. The United Nations passed a resolution to partition Palestine. According to the decision, 45 percent of the land was left to the Palestinians and the remaining 55 percent to the Zionists. Thus, on May 14, 1948, Israel declared independence. David Bengurian was the first prime minister of Israel at that time. He is called the Jewish ‍‍`Father of the State‍‍`. Two days later, the former Soviet Union recognized Israel as the first independent state.